Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I don't think I'd walk five hundred miles!

So I've only got about 10 minutes but i thought I would try in get back in the swing of blogging. I am relaxing at the hostel in Inverness after completing two long distance walks. The first the west highland way(WHW) leads 95 miles from a suburb of Glasgow to Fort William. The second the Great Glen Way (GGW) from fort William, 77 miles to Inverness. I also climbed Ben Nevis the UK's highest peak at 4,409 feet. the total for the 3 hikes is about 179 miles. All in all i feel pretty good but if you'd have asked me most nights around ten o'clock i may have answered otherwise. As I am short on time I will try and get the places I stayed and milages i walked posted in the next day or so.

The first week and the entire WHW the weather didn't cooperate. It pissed rain at some point at least everyday and the clouds never really lifted. I still enjoyed it and met some really great people along the walk. I partied quite a few nights with a group of 5 guys from Glasgow. They even rescued me and put me put me in a spare bed they had one night at a chalet. Other than that, I camped every night. The second week the weather drastically changed for the better. Matt and I enjoyed sunshine and blue sky's for most of the walk. Only the last day did it really rain. It was much nicer. As it was dry, we could get small camp fires going at night. Of all the nights camping there was only one really cold night and it happened to be Matt's first nights camping. Luckily it got warmer as the week went on and the camping was great.

Time is ticking down, and sorry if this is a little boring, I'll try and get used to writing regularly again. All in all it was a great two weeks but my legs are ready for a break. Cheers to all and look for more posts soon.

No comments: